Monday, July 13, 2009

Caveat emptor!

Israel has a long way to go to reach the American level of "the customer is always right." Here is an example:
I bought four cartridges for my HP Laser color printer from the store "Hamadrich" (Rehov Smilansky 2, Netanya) on special order eight months ago costing NIS 1052 ($250). After a few months they started to streak red and then blue dye onto all pages that were printed. I found that I could get around this by cleaning the rollers, but it returned after a few pages and gradually got worse. I called HP service (there is a center in Netanya) and they told me that nothing could be done as long as the printer worked properly, it was the fault of the cartridges and they should be replaced. So I went back to the store and showed them a page and asked what could be done, and I was told "don't worry, we are responsible."
Hearing that, I was pleased, so the next day I brought back the two cartridges in question. However, now they were very uncooperative, first they told me that I had waited too long, then they told me that the cartridges were empty (although the printer showed that they were ca. 60% full, one of the clerks even took the cartridge outside the store and said he had weighed it), then they called the dealer and he said that he didn't supply such cartridges, and then the woman in the store told me that I hadn't bought them there, even though I had the receipt to prove it, she denied that it was authentic. All I was hoping for was some form of exchange, but this extent of lying was incredible. So I warn anyone, do not buy printer cartridges at "Hamadrich" they will not help you if you have a problem.
That said, it is the law in Israel that anyone not satisfied with a purchase is entitled to return the goods and get their money back. Precisely what is wrong and how long the delay in returning the item is unclear. But, try to get your money back from any store in Israel, they will argue with you, they will be uncooperative, and finally if you insist they may give you a credit.
My sister-in -law Barbara, when she was here last visit, bought a pair of sandals. The first time she wore them they started to come apart. She went back to the store the next day and asked for her money back and they laughed at her. So she went berserk (maybe that's what I should have done), she started shouting, throwing shoes off the shelves, and when they threw her out of the store she stood outside shouting to frighten customers away. In a few minutes the owner called her back in and gave her her money back. It's a shame that one has to accept insults or resort to such actions in order to receive what is one's right by law. Remember, in Israel, caveat emptor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home