Friday, March 19, 2010

Confessions of a Jewish Activist

"Confessions of a Jewish Activist and Other Stories" is the title of my latest book.

It describes my activities in the Soviet Jewry movement, from the time I was arrested in Washington DC in 1970 for organizing an anti-French demonstration, when I went to London and was briefed by a secret underground Jewish group before going to Moscow in 1972, my experiences in Moscow meeting refuseniks, and the role I played in the huge anti-Brezhnev demonstration in Washington DC in 1973. See "Confessions..." on my web-site www.jackcohenart.com and see photos of me at demonstrations in 1975.

I also added several interesting stories in this book, including a tour of Sinai before it was returned to Egypt and another is a humorous account of "How to murder your mother-in-law," for any frustrated son-in-law.

"Confessions..." is available on Amazon.com along with my other works, my highly recommended (see below) autobiographical novel "Amanuensis" and my story collections "Discovering America" and "Trove," for more information search Amazon.com for "(title) Jack Cohen" or go to my website www.jackcohenart.com . [Several people have asked me if the story of Julian in "Amanuensis" was true. It was, and the proof is given at the end of the section of "Amanuenesis" in www.jackcohenart.com].

Reviews of "Amanuensis"

Myra Sklarew, Prof. Emerita of Literature, American University, Washington DC, USA ---
It is compelling from the first moment to the last. Thank you for sharing it with me. What a remarkable father! What a hugely powerful model for his son. And what a great distance his son traveled---from a world of enormous hardship and pain to a life of learning and contributing. You have written about a chapter in our history that is scarcely known and therefore makes a great contribution to the full story of our people. The book deserves a wider audience. Your writing is vivid, immediate, and powerful.


Sarah Shapiro author most recently of "Wish I Were Here," and editor of "All of Our Lives: An Anthology of Contemporary Jewish Writing" ---
"Amanuensis" is a wonderfully entertaining, touching, funny story of a young man's calamitous pilgrimage through the wild, wild world in earnest search of...he knows not what. At once utterly raw and artfully crafted, Jack Cohen's writing voice rings true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home