Monday, August 02, 2010

Nothing to say

I promised myself that if I ever have nothing to say I won't say it. But, I must confess that my thoughts today are not on some existential aspect of Israel's survival. No, the topic is much more prosaic. I am thinking about our bathroom. The men came yesterday and already took out the bath (to be replaced by a cupboard and a new shower) and smashed all the tiles on one side of the wall. They connected pipes with a complex arrangement and then went home. Tomorrow they tell me they are going to do the floor. Anxious moments.

The first estimate I received was for NIS 13,000 (ca. $3,500). The next one was NIS 4,500 ($1,216). I was puzzled by this discrepancy, but noone seemed interested in actually doing the work for that price. Finally someone was recommended who said he would do it for NIS 5,000 and he said he would start the next week. So I agreed, and then he gave me a list of things I needed to buy to actually set up the shower etc. I went to the bathroom supply store and lo and behold the bill was ca. NIS 7,000. So if you add 5,000 and 7,000 you get 13,000. Whee! Now I understand why the discrepancy. The first guy said he would do everything and we needn't worry. Well, on the other hand I prefer to be involved in choosing the materials. We chose frosted glass for the shower (who wants to be seen at our age). But, it will take 3 weeks to make it on special order. So we won't be able to shower for 3 weeks, Too bad, I'll have to go to the gym more often. But, I have a solution, a temporary shower curtain should work.

The other topic that is bothering me is the fate of Don Draper, the erstwhile hero (or anti-hero, it's hard to tell) of "Mad Men." The first episode of the fourth series of which started here this week. Don is in a perilous situation, having been divorced by his very beautiful wife when she learned the truth about him and having set up his own ad agency, which is teetering on the edge, rather than be taken over by a conglomerate. How could I be caught up in a mere "soap"? But on the other hand the characters seem so real, the drama is compelling and there is a lot of sex (vicarious living). Oh well, it keeps me preoccupied while they are destroying our bathroom.

Mrs. Mezvinsky, you are right, Jewish men make good husbands. We are sensitive, caring and loyal, not like some others you might know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home