Monday, August 27, 2012

Israeli GPS

So I finally went out and bought myself a GPS (global positioning system).  I've been fighting this for some time, since I think I can find my way anywhere, even in Israel, but I finally had to admit I do get lost.  It drives my wife crazy because I refuse to ask the way (this must be a male genetic trait).  So I finally bought a GPS system and had the salesman set it for English, written and spoken.
When I got it home I did some tests, even though at home it can't detect the GPS signal.  I entered my own address and a few others.  But, when I tried to put in my daughter's address in Beer Sheva it wouldn't take it.  I thought that was odd, and I kept trying.  She lives on an alley called a Mishol in Hebrew.  Then I remembered that her alley is not a road that cars can drive on, so I realized that it does not exist in the GPS's map.   Of course I did this without referring to the manual, because contrary to the salesman's assurance there was no English manual inside, only Hebrew.  So I found the site on the web with the English manual and then printed it out, all 92 pages of it.
In the city of Netanya, I tried to insert the name of Netanya College, but it wouldn't accept that, nor the name of the street it's on, University Blvd.  Only when I drove there did I realize that the name of the road in English is spelt "Hauniversita" and when I put that in, no problem.  Also in order to enter a College you have to click on POI, point of interest, which is not a street address. So I'm gradually mastering the intricacies of the system.  I have taken the thing out on runs in Netanya, where I know the way, and often it gives me different routes.  But, when I take my route it does a "route calculation" and then follows my lead, very useful.
I wonder what percentage of men choose a female rather than a male voice for directions?  I must say that I find it comforting to have a female voice seductively telling me to go ahead, except when she tells me I'm breaking the speed limit.  That is excess information. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home