Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Back to normal!

My absence for a few days was due to another attack of digestive problems, that had me hospitalized, but only for 2 days. They did a CT scan and diagnosed divericulitis (look it up). Now I have to take antibiotic and further testing. When I was in the hospital I felt that the docters were scheming, I felt that they were probably Mossad and meeting each day to see how they could break me. The first day they decided to stick needles in me, the second day they put me in a machine and bombarded me with X-rays and the third day they stuck a long metal pole up my behind and said "if he doesn't talk after that he never will." So I survived and am back to normal! About 2 hours after I came home and was sleeping, Naomi woke me screaming that water was dripping from the bathroom ceiling. So I climbed up to the storage area where the air-conditioner is and it was dripping, because the outlet pipe was blocked, again! So I took the pipe off and blew in it and it cleared the blockage and voila, back to normal! I still have an a/c guy coming tomorrow to see if a more permanent solution can be found. Finally, I helped Naomi cook our first meal of the new restricted diet (no raw fruit or fiber). We had baked chicken breast with white rice and boiled mashed tomatos followed by apple sauce with a dash of chocolate syrup for taste. Not bad. OK, so now back to serious matters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following letters appeared in The Jerusalem Post:

June 8, 2010
Sir:
Considering her remarks, I think that Helen Thomas should go back to Lebanon. After all she is displacing the original inhabitants of North America, the native American Indians. I also think that the Arabs should go back to Arabia where they came from, and stop occupying my homeland. If we could all go back to where our ancestors came from would that make the world a better place?
Jack Cohen
Netanya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 23, 2010
Sir:
I strongly disagree with your correspondent Judy Prager (Letters, 21/6/10) who criticized PM Netanyahu for giving in to the demands of the blockade breakers. In fact, he has done no such thing! What he has done is an adroit political move. He has accepted the proposal of the Quartet representative Tony Blair to alter the blockade from an inclusionary one to an exclusionary one. Instead of a list of foodstuffs allowed through the blockade, Israel will now list the military items excluded. Also, there are provisions to ensure as far as possible that any building materials allowed into Gaza will be directed to peaceful and not military purposes. This is in fact only a minor lateral change in the nature of the blockade, in that it allows civilian and humanitarian aid to enter Gaza as has always been the case, since Israel has always provided for the humanitarian needs of the Palestinian civilian population, while explicitly excluding any war materiel. Thus, as far as any naval blockade breakers are concerned the situation is unchanged, they cannot deliver goods directly to Gaza (in any case the Gaza port cannot accomodate large ships) but must dock in Israel where the goods and people can be checked and then non-military items can be transferred to Gaza.
Jack Cohen
Netanya

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 8, 2010
Sir:
If Pres. Obama does finally visit Israel, he will be welcomed. But, before he comes we need to know which Pres. Obama will be visiting. Will it be the March Pres Obama, who insulted our Prime Minister by making him enter the White House by a back door, who hectored him with pro-Palestinian views, who refused any joint press appearances and did not allow photographers, or will it be the July Pres. Obama, who changed his attitudes and not only was welcoming to PM Netanyahu, but seemed to have changed his policies too, accepting Netanyahu's 10 month building freeze on the West Bank and liberalization of the blockade of Gaza as "brave" steps. Now Obama must use pressure on the Palestinians to ensure that direct talks start as soon as possible. If he does then we might be disposed to welcome him as a friend. Otherwise, we too can show him the back door.
Jack Cohen
Netanya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home