Thursday, March 31, 2011

Apotropus

"Apotropus" is the Israeli word for "power-of-attorney," it comes from the Greek via German and is definitely not a Hebrew word. I was asked to become the Apotropus for my mother-in-law, something neither of us could ever have envisaged. Now she is 95 and quite frail, and she is no longer able to take care of her own affairs. So to help Naomi and Barbara and the Home where she lives, it was agreed that it would be a good idea if I took over. Since I often write about life in Israel I thought it would be interesting for you if I describe the process.

First, the old age home, Nofei Hasharon ("View of the Sharon") where Millie lives has a wonderful staff, and they also speak English. The Administrator invited me in and prepared a package of papers for me. Both Barbara and Naomi had to sign affidavits agreeing to me becoming an Apotropus, and then I had to get an affidavit signed by a lawyer. Then we had to have a pyschogeriatric expert to visit privately and examine Millie and he had to write a letter describing Millie's mental state. We were there when he did the examination, and he asked her several times what day of the week it was, and she didn't know, then he told her, and a few mintues later asked her again and she still had no idea. But, she was still able to converse with him. Finally the Home gave me a covering letter describing the need for me to become an Apotropus.

I went to the Family court in nearby Kfar Saba, a 20 min. drive, and found the place easily. I took a number and waited on line and then spoke to a female clerk behind the counter. She did not speak English, but we managed to communicate with Naomi's help. She gave me some forms to fill out, but told us that for a fee there was a lawyer downstairs who would fill out the forms for me. We went downstairs and there was a young man with two even younger assistants at a desk. It turned out that they were law students, and one of them helped me to fill out the forms, and she spoke excellent English. Then the lawyer stamped the forms and for this service I was happy to pay them ca. $30. Then we took the forms back upstairs and the clerk checked all the forms and registered the application. She told me to come back in 30 mins. So we went away to have lunch.

We walked across the parking lot and found a small restaurant in the enarby shopping center. As chance would have it it was a "Tripolitanian" restaurant, the owners were from Tripoli in Libya. They agreed they were better off in Israel than with Gaddafi. We had a schnitzel (fried chicken breast) with couscous, that was delicious and authentic. This is the kind of nice surprise that you find in Israel. Then we returned to the court and I sat waiting in the room.

But, as the time went by and it was nearly an hour, I began to complain. So the clerk explained to me with the help of two young women who were also waiting and were glad to use their English, that I was waiting for the judge to sign the form. Apparently there are two separate kinds of Apotropus, one the for body ("guf") regarding health and medication and one for the property, and I was applying for both, but usually they give the body one immediately because it might be necessary, and so I had to wait for that. She called thru to the judge twice to see what was happening, and she told me to wait, and she said that I would probably have to wait for up to 6 months for the property part. But, lo and behold the reason I had to wait there longer was that the judge granted both parts of the application immediately. So no more waiting. I said it was just as well, since Millie is 95 and who knows what could happen in 6 months. The clerk gave me the signed Apotropus forms from the judge and I left happy. Now I'm planning how to spend the money (only joking of course!). Actually we are very pleased that Millie had saved enough money to cover all her costs for the foreseeable future, including the Home and her full-time Phlippina carer. So now I'm legally an Apotropus, seems strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home